Monday, March 12, 2012

Marvelous Monday

Apart from having to wake up and move around in the dark, it turned out to be a great day.  The sky was a gorgeous shade of blue and there was a time during mid-afternoon that it was warm enough for shorts and short sleeves.


The main focus of the day was to get the roof slated and this was accomplished.  Before starting on the roof, concrete was poured into the downstairs wall extension (above the steps) and the framework removed at the end of the day.


Concrete poured into the framework of the wall extension
After the framework was removed




It's really amazing how Bermuda roofs are constructed and surprising how well they withstand the force of severe weather, including hurricanes.  Here's a series of pictures to view the building process:


The slate is placed on top of the roof framework
Luis builds the gable end of the roof
Luis hands the cement to Tony, while Chris looks on
First half of the roof has been slated


To provide you with a proper understanding of how the roof slate is put in place, I needed to get a different angle with the camera.  So, I moved to a better location and took the following pictures.  Now, please keep this a secret because if my family finds out what I did, I'll be in a whole lot of trouble!


Tony cements the slate in place
A closer look at the process
Tony and Luis put the eave slate on the side of the roof
The water collection pipe is on the right side of the bucket, stuffed with plastic for the moment




Okay, time to get back to my other location before the family catches me up on the roof!  Due to my health issues from last year, I really shouldn't have gone up there, but if I hadn't, you never would have gotten such a great look at how a Bermuda roof is built.


Tony and Luis secure the eave slate to the roof structure
Tony begins to cement the slate on this side of the roof
John Sr. inspects the work being done - hey... that's where I was when I took the other pictures!
The roof is almost finished
The finished roof as seen from below
A front view of the finished roof from the stairs below




I also took some video footage of the roof construction, but I'll work on that tomorrow and post it when it's ready to go.  I got started late on today's blog post because Troy and I were dealing with the electrical planning, etc. until after 9pm, so it's now almost 11pm and I need my beauty rest.

1 comment:

  1. ya your looking to get an earful mate! Looking good. Look forward to seeing it in person this week!

    ReplyDelete